Monday, December 8, 2008

I fought the tree and....

I won! Our sunday school teachers were talking about how their biggest fights throughout the years of their marriage have revolved around the Christmas tree. This year Allyn and I were at peace...it was the tree that I was fighting with. We picked out the tree easily and even got it into the stand without any major drama. The girls had a wonderful time unwrapping all the ornaments and lining them up in the floor. The next step was for me to put on the lights. This is where it got hairy. Since Allyn thinks that putting lights on the tree means simply wrapping them around and around until you get to the bottom, I agreed that he was better off sitting on the couch watching t.v. while I took my time getting them exactly how I wanted them. It was pleasant and relaxing until I got to the bottom and realized I had the female end of the plug instead of the male end. Trying to help me not come unglued, Allyn calmly strolled over to investigate the situation. He then pointed out to me that I had started the lights out in the wrong direction all the way at the top on my second strand. UGH!!! You can imagine what happened next....I took all of my perfectly placed lights off and re-strung. Yipee, I made it to the bottom with the right end of the plug. It was showtime. As I plugged them in, Allyn started laughing. Laughing??? I was ready to cry. The middle strand wasn't working. Allyn suggested that I just go on to bed and tackle this project in the morning. Go to sleep now? I think not! I was at war and determined to win no matter how long it took me. Third time was a charm, and I was in business. I won the battle with the tree, though my head didn't hit the pillow until way after midnight. An artificial, pre-lit tree may be on my wish list for next Christmas.


5 comments:

The Cleggs said...

The pre-lit, fake (and although it is pretty it still looks fake) tree we bought 2 years ago was the best thing we did for our marriage! : ) Your post made me smile - I know exactly how you feel!!! Good to catch up with you on Saturday!

Unknown said...

You can always call "Clark", erh, Ty, with lighting questions! Haha.
Beautiful tree, even more beautiful family!

Julee H. Nappier said...

I love so many things about this post! I love when you talked about the male and female plug ends...how funny!

I'm doing a victory dance for you as we speak!(:

Love the girls little dresses! Did u make them??

The Rouse Family said...

I love this!!! We have a prelit fake and LOVE IT! How funny! Tree is beautiful!

Everyday with the Edwards said...

Oh, I know EXACTLY how you feel...I did the SAME thing last year! Ugh, it is such a bummer, but I am glad you won the battle with the tree! The girls look just precious as always!


Ella and Gray posing after easter egg hunt