Sunday, August 17, 2008

Is that Jesus??

We talk often with the girls about how Jesus lives in our hearts. They will usually add that Jesus also lives in heaven. Our simple explanations have seemed to satisfy their curiosity until the other day. Gray saw a tendon on my neck sticking out and asked "Mommy, is that Jesus coming out of your heart?" I sat stunned. After realizing that she thought there was literally a person named Jesus living inside my body, I understood that she thought this tendon she saw on my neck must have been one of his extremities sticking out. Oh my, how do I even start to explain?? I went on to tell her that it is the Spirit of Jesus and not an actual person who lives inside of us. I went on to tell her that Jesus lives in heaven with God. She thought for a little while....I knew I was in the clear. Then, she pointed at her belly button and said, "well then is this heaven?" Speechless!

3 comments:

Julee H. Nappier said...

That is the sweetest thing ever!

Cheree Pierce said...

Hey Ashley, We are loving the blog and this particular one made me laugh hard. The other night Sanders told me he did not hear God talking to him and I told him sometimes God talks to us through other means such as actions and that is when he asked me "does God talk to me in Spanish?" I laughed so hard I cried. I love the imaginations of children.

Lisa said...

Hilarious!!! I love it.

Explaining intangible concepts to toddlers can be very difficult.

It is so hard to explain where Jesus lives and where Heaven actually resides to someone that doesn't even really understand that Auburn is a city in AL!

It's encouraging to hear these stories from other mommies. All we can do is continually talk to them about Jesus and His love for us.


Ella and Gray posing after easter egg hunt